Gite McCallum

 

216 rue du Carmel

Danville QC, J0A 1A0

Canada

Tel: 819-839-1118

email: gitemccallumdanville@gmail.com

thumb_dsc_6660_1024

La Maison McCallum

Construite vers 1902 pour le Capitaine James McCallum, fils d’Archibald et Eleanor McCallum, des immigrants écossais en provenance de Glasgow, arrivés au Canada en 1852. Archibald McCallum etait un cordonnier a Danville. Quelques années plus tard, il a fondé la “Shipton Creamery”, entreprise laitière. Son fils James a pris la relève et a respecté les hauts standards de qualité établis par son père. En 1908, lors de la visite au Canada du Prince et de la Princesse de Galles, la crèmerie Shipton fut la seule autorisée à fournir le beurre aux passagers du Train Royal. James fournissait plusieurs épiceries de Montréal, et exportait également son beurre en Écosse, terre natale de ses parents.

La maison est un exemple typique des maisons de forme cubique appelée “Four Square” aux États-Unis ou elle apparait au tournant du 20e siècle. Le toit en pavillon (en forme de pyramide basse) avec grande lucarne centrée en façade est un élément représentatif des maisons cubiques.

La Maison McCallum a des caractéristiques qui la distinguent du modèle courant. Les murs exterieurs sont entièrement revêtus de bardeaux. La galerie, d’influence colonial américaine avec ses colonnes, est bien proportionée et son angle arrondi rappelle l’influence du Pittoresque. Sur le murs latéraux, des fenêtres a l’étage des chambres sont en encorbellement.

thumb_dsc_6674_1024

The McCallum House was built in about 1902 for Captain James McCallum, son of Archibald and Eleanor McCallum, Scottish immigrants who arrived in Canada from Glasgow in 1852. Archibald was a boot and shoemaker in Danville, before founding the “Shipton Creamery”, the area’s leading cheese manufacturer. James continued the business, and maintained the high standards set by his father. The Shipton Creamery was the only manufacturer to supply butter to the Royal Train of the Prince and Princess of Wales (the future George V and Queen Mary) during their visit to Canada in 1908. The creamery also supplied many of the leading grocery stores in Montreal, and even exported some butter back to Scotland.

The house is a cedar-shingled “American Four-Square” design with pavilion roof (pyramid-shaped), and large dormer window, features typical of this type of house in the early 1900s. The side walls have oriel window (second storey) bays. The one at left is supported on bold brackets, while at right the oriel rests on the side veranda. The spacious front veranda with its neo-classical columns curves out elegantly at the corner, creating a space where people can sit in the evening to watch the setting sun.

Captain James McCallum and his wife Lillian (Lodge) lived in the house until their deaths in the 1960s, when both were in their 90s. They now lie in the cemetery opposite, along with their daughters Ruth and Bessie and his parents Archibald and Eleanor.